Just cuz I'm paid to be nice to you, doesn't mean you're not a fucking creep.

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Let me tell you guys, we're not allowed to be mean to anyone. And that's probably why a lot of you treat us like shit when we tell you no. Retail has become so focused on not upsetting a single person, that our return policies only hold up if the customer wants it to. It's ridiculous. Last night was my shift from hell. Unfortunately we have no hours right now which means barely any coverage, so our breaks are taken very close to the beginning/end of our shifts depending on when we (and the only other person working that day) come in. That's pretty sucky but not the worst. I've dealt with worse.

But on top of really no breaks, being alone all night and having to change signs on top of everything, having my printer shit the bed so I can't even print the signs but have to HAND MAKE THEM, my POS computer going down (pun entirely intended), I also spent 2 hours with a fucking creeper who would not leave me alone. And it's somehow become unacceptable to call security as a female alone in a store because some dude is being inappropriate but you're not in danger. Ladies, you know that balance of creepy.

Homeboy comes in, touches EVERYTHING and then starts asking me a million questions because he wants to know more about "pop culture". Go out in the fucking world. Turn on a tv, computer, or radio and you will learn just fine. What did you just get out of prison? You sir, have the weirdest vibe I have ever been near and I really hope I never see you again. He asked about some music related accessories we sold and then asked about a sweatband. You know, those stretchy things that go on your wrist for wiping sweat off your forehead? Suggestively asking if he even "wanted to know what part of the body you wear this on".

Now, let's take a break from this while everyone vomits. It's okay, I understand. But allow me to paint you a picture. I am the only employee in the store. I have about  customers in there, and I am doing my best to help all of them in a timely fashion. For the most part, everyone is sympathetic. I am also on and off the phone with our IT desk trying to get my shit to work. But people are still graciously putting up with it. One guy even offered to wait until my computer was repaired to cash out, instead of me putting Mr. IT Guy on hold for 30 seconds to take care of him. Seriously, most of you last night were great. Now, while I'm on and off that phone, I'm up and down rooting around in the bowels of our cashwrap, unplugging and hard resetting things according to IT Guy's instructions. I'm covered in dirt and dust, probably crying a little, and counting the minutes until I can go home and booze up. AND THIS DUDE IS HINTING AT HIS AWKWARD FUCKING PENIS AT ME. Even if we were in the parallel universe where I was single, and possibly interested in his socially awkward, late 30's, acne ridden self... How the fuck is that the time to make a pass like that?

And then. THEN. He goes to squeal, yes, SQUEAL over shit for little girls. Oh hi, I'm pretty sure you're a pedophile now. Why are you out in public with children about? Ugh. This dude seriously made my skin crawl. I can't even put in to words the creepy he was. And at the end, he bought nothing. Not even a 99 cent item. I'm not saying you have to spend money when you come in, but if you're an asshole in any way, shape, or form, you best to be spending money here or I will remember your face and I will not be as graciously helpful next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment