No, I don't work here because I can't find anything else, I work here because I enjoy it.

Saturday, March 23, 2013


Here I am in our break/stock/bathroom, leeching free wifi from our cellular sales neighbors because something about the walls in our back room blocks out any semblance of a cell signal. After spending the past 4 hours being ignored, lied to, screamed at, and berated by strangers I am allowed 30 minutes of peace before facing another four of the same for a minimum wage paycheck.  And in this 30 minutes I not only have to venture to the food court to buy my meal, but eat it, use the bathroom, pop outside for a smoke, and find 2 minutes of peace and quiet. Sounds like the day from hell doesn't it? No. Just a normal shift in retail. In fact, one of the better ones.

I have over a decade of experience working various customer service based jobs. Over this time I have learned that there are three types of customers. Ones who have done my job (or one similar), ones who never have worked in any form of customer service, and morons/assholes. And I realized that the worst ones tend to fall into group B. Maybe by sharing what this job actually entails, some people might learn how to act when in a store.

Most of the time I am treated by these customers like I am worthless. Less than human even. I can only assume they think that I work this "shitty" job because I have zero skills in life based on how they treat me some days. Let me explain how wrong that is. First off, I have two degrees. Not one, two. I also own my own business, house, and car. And I probably am financially better off that a good 90% of my customers. I don't work this job because I can't find anything better, I work in retail because I honestly love it. I love meeting different people, I love being social, I love helping someone put together an outfit they love, or digging out the last one in their size from the back so they can have the article of clothing they've been lusting over since three pay checks ago. And I am damn good at what I do. I am quick with numbers and can calculate in my head the total of your order including tax and discounts before ringing it all in. I know what looks good on people, I know how our sizes run, and I know just by looking at you and what you're carrying to the fitting room if you will buy that item or realize that you are not in fact still a size extra small after having 3 kids when you look in the mirror.

That guy in that store with the name tag? He's a person. With feelings, dreams, and goals. And probably a better moral fiber than all of his customers combined. He has a family, maybe kids, who would love to see him come home less than exhausted one day because people screamed at him for not taking back their obviously well worn clothing and he'll lose his job if he opens his mouth. See, even loving my job, I come home and drink. I can't imagine the hell this industry must be for those of us who are just passing through, trying to make ends meet while finishing school, or taking whatever they can get because they were laid off from the job of their dreams.

So, you work in retail? Sit back, relax, and share in the insanity we all have to deal with. Never worked in retail before? Get yourself a pen and a notebook and get ready to take some notes. I'll explain to you why we act the way we do, why we hate you, why we love you, and how to change all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment