No, we are not an ATM, that is down the hall and free to use.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

I don't know why, but for some reason there is an obnoxious amount of teenagers and younger 20-something's that only carry around large bills. I can't recall seeing as many hundreds and fifties as a kid as these kids just throw around. Good for them I suppose for having all that money, but there's a certain etiquette they have yet to pick up about spending those bills.

For the love of god, DON'T use a hundred dollar bill to buy an item that is $2. Especially when it's early in the day. Other people pay in cash and we need to make change for them too. We're not a bank. Not to mention, early on, we only have small bills and change in our drawer. Most tills don't have twenties in them until someone gives us one. Counting out $97.68 in fives and ones is a pain in the ass and fucks our drawer for the rest of the day.

And if you just want to break a bill, too bad. The second you ask us to break something when another customer buys and item, red flag. We're fairly convinced that shit is fake. Bring it to a bank. they will gladly give you twenties, tens, whatever you want, but we don't have that in our registers, and even if we did, it's not for you. There is an ATM literally 25 yards from our store in our mall, and a bank located in our parking lot. A full operating branch. Maybe a minute walk tops from the closest mall exit to us.

It's not just teens and young adults that do this though. They certainly are the majority, but a decent amount of adults do it too. A few weeks ago I had a very nice older woman in my store. She came up to my register to buy a clearance item that was maybe $3. I rang her in, gave her the total and she opened her wallet (that was packed with assorted bills mind you) and pulls out a hundred. I wince a little and ask her if she has anything smaller since I was pretty sure I didn't have any twenties in my drawer. It was about 3pm, and all the sales I had rang in that day were on a credit card. So I KNEW I had a till with 50 in singles, about 20 in change, and the rest in 5s.

This woman switches in a heart beat from super nice, to holy mother of god bitch in a second flat. And tells me "Don't lie to me you've sold stuff all day, now give me change for that!" Clearly, she is clairvoyant and can see the bills or lack there of I have been handed. But I have SEEN in her wallet tens, fives, and twenties. So I try again and explain all the sales have been on credit, and since I was the first one here, I know if I break that bill she is getting all fives back, maybe she has something smaller to pay with, or a credit card, or I'll give her the fives. She then gets belligerent and starts yelling at me to take money out of the other register to make change for her.

Let's stop right there. Hi. This is a business. We have rules. Every time that till opens is logged, and can not open without a sale or manager doing it manually. AND. At the end of the day, each drawer has to settle with itself. Not the entire store needs to be even. Being 5 bucks short on one till, and 5 over on the other doesn't cancel each other out. So no, I can't put the money from the sale at register A in the register for B and make change. Ever. If you are the nicest most pleasant customer in the history of retail, I may break bills to give you change out of another register, and lie on the paperwork for the manual open that register B needed pennies or something, but you have to be not only super nice, but spending a whole hell of a lot of money.

Back to our older woman. As I finished the transaction, she leaned over the counter and put her face in my till and started pointing in there to makes sure I wasn't lying or screwing up her money or something. I ended up getting screamed at for a few minutes because I gave her the change in fives and ones like I told her I would have to, and couldn't (because I like my job and my paycheck) tell her to get her fucking face and hands out of my money. This old bag was one of the biggest assholes I have met in all of retail.

We honestly don't care if we end our shift with mostly hundreds or mostly singles, but we need to know we have the right change for the rest of our shift. So if your cashier says they don't have enough twenties to break that bill, and you see two or three in the drawer, keep your mouth shut. There are other customers, some of which will pay appropriately for their things, and we need to make change for them. Yes they get preferential treatment for having manners, and I don't think I need to explain why.

No comments:

Post a Comment